Israeli airstrikes killed at least 11 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Sunday, according
to Palestinian health officials, in an incident that has once again put the fragile
ceasefire under serious pressure. The Israeli military said the strikes were carried
out in response to violations of the truce by Hamas, while Hamas accused Israel of
committing a new breach of the agreement and targeting civilians.
The latest escalation shows how unstable the situation remains, even months after
a ceasefire was announced with the goal of ending one of the deadliest chapters in
the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
According to medical sources and civil defense teams in Gaza, the airstrikes hit
several areas early Sunday morning. One strike targeted a tent encampment where
displaced families were living, killing at least four people. These tents were set up
to shelter civilians who had already lost their homes during earlier fighting.
Another airstrike in the southern city of Khan Younis killed five people, while
additional casualties were reported in northern Gaza. Palestinian officials said the
attacks caused widespread panic among civilians, many of whom believed the
ceasefire would protect them from further violence.
The Israel Defense Forces stated that the strikes were precise operations aimed at
militants who had violated the ceasefire agreement. According to Israeli officials,
armed fighters emerged from underground tunnels and crossed into restricted
areas near Israeli military positions. The military described this movement as a
clear violation of the agreed security boundaries and said the strikes were
necessary to protect Israeli troops.
Israel has long argued that Hamas continues to maintain underground tunnels and
military infrastructure despite ceasefire commitments. Israeli officials say these
tunnels are used to move fighters and store weapons, making them a serious
security threat. The military said it will continue targeting such infrastructure to
prevent future attacks.
Hamas, however, strongly rejected Israel’s claims. A spokesperson for the group
accused Israel of attacking civilians and breaking the ceasefire. Hamas described
the strikes as a “massacre” and called on the international community to
intervene. The group said Israel’s actions threaten ongoing diplomatic efforts and
could push the region back into full-scale war.
The ceasefire, which began in October 2025, was meant to stop large-scale fighting
and allow humanitarian aid and reconstruction to begin in Gaza. It was also
designed to create space for political negotiations aimed at reaching a longer-
term solution. However, both sides have repeatedly accused each other of violating
the agreement. Small-scale incidents, border clashes, and military operations have
continued despite the truce.
Since the ceasefire took effect, Palestinian health authorities say hundreds of
Palestinians have been killed in Israeli military actions. Israel, on the other hand,
reports that some of its soldiers have been killed by militant attacks during the
same period. These ongoing incidents show how fragile the agreement remains
and how easily tensions can rise.
The current war began on October 7, 2023, when Hamas launched a large-scale
attack on southern Israel. According to Israeli authorities, around 1,200 people
were killed and more than 200 were taken hostage. Israel responded with a
massive military campaign in Gaza, including airstrikes and ground operations.
Since then, Palestinian officials say more than 70,000 people have been killed in
Gaza. Large parts of the territory have been destroyed, including homes, schools,
hospitals, and basic infrastructure. Many families are still living in temporary
shelters, facing shortages of food, clean water, electricity, and medical care.
The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains extremely difficult. Hospitals are
struggling to operate due to limited supplies and damaged facilities. Aid
organizations warn that civilians, especially children, are suffering from trauma
and long-term psychological stress. Displacement remains widespread, with
thousands of people unable to return to their homes.
The international community has expressed concern over the renewed violence.
The United Nations and other global organizations have called for restraint and
urged both Israel and Hamas to respect the ceasefire. Many governments stress
that protecting civilians must be a priority under international law.
At the same time, diplomatic efforts continue. U.S. President Donald Trump recently
introduced a new initiative known as the Board of Peace. The plan aims to oversee
reconstruction in Gaza, monitor ceasefire compliance, and possibly deploy an
international stabilization force. The initiative is expected to bring together
several countries to support security and rebuilding efforts.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated that Israel will continue to
act against what it considers terrorist threats. He has emphasized that Hamas must
disarm and end its military operations if there is to be a permanent peace
agreement. Israel maintains that security for its citizens is its top priority.
Meanwhile, Palestinians in Gaza say they continue to live in fear and uncertainty.
Many hoped the ceasefire would bring an end to airstrikes and allow life to slowly
return to normal. Instead, incidents like the latest strikes increase anxiety about
the possibility of renewed large-scale war.
The broader regional situation also remains tense. Israel continues to monitor
developments involving regional actors, including Iran, which Israel accuses of
supporting militant groups in the region. These wider geopolitical tensions add
another layer of complexity to the conflict.
The future of the ceasefire now depends on whether both sides can avoid further
escalation. Diplomatic pressure, international mediation, and clear communication
will be critical in preventing another full-scale confrontation. Any additional
military action could quickly undo months of efforts to stabilize the situation.
For civilians in Gaza and southern Israel, the hope remains the same: safety,
stability, and a chance to rebuild their lives. However, the recent airstrikes show
that peace remains fragile and uncertain. Lasting stability will require serious
political compromise, stronger international involvement, and a genuine
commitment from all parties to prevent further loss of life.
%20(1).png)
